The Rio Grooming School
At Rio Grooming School we aim to give a well-rounded, hands-on, exciting and inspiring education so you can graduate with a skill set that paves the way for your career as a pet groomer. Our state-of-the-art school is located in Hastings, MN.
Our program allows for small-class sizes and provides a great place for your work to flourish under the supervision of our professionally trained instructors. You’ll learn professional grooming services in theory and practice, client communication, retail performance, presentation skills, creative expression and business building. We help graduates find employment during and after graduation. What are you waiting for? We would love to meet with you and give you a tour!
Principles & Mission Statement
The Rio Grooming School is dedicated to taking a leadership role with each and every student to guide them to develop a passion to express their creative nature to lead toward a successful career in the grooming, spa and pet care industry.
While the grooming, spa and pet care industry continues to evolve, our staff will encourage and guide the individual student to accept change as a positive part of our individual evolution.
It is the responsibility of our staff individually and collectively to bring “the real world” into the classroom, through practical training, guest artists, salon, grooming socials along with career days and industry field trips.
We strive here at Rio Grooming School & Salon to educate qualified students, using state-of-the-art equipment for a lifetime career in the field of grooming. In addition we employ qualified staff for supervision, administration and motivation.
Purpose & Standards of Education
At Rio Grooming School it’s our tradition to aspire to high goals, achievement and professionalism. At Rio Grooming we focus on three main goals:
First and foremost is Education
Since our founding in 2009, excellence in education has been our driving force. Our staff and management team will settle or nothing but the finest training for our students.
Each and every Rio Grooming student, instructor, manager, and director is expected to uphold the ethical reputation one would expect to find in an excellent and prosperous school. We take great pride in the feedback from our clients, graduates and partners about our students and our school.
The Rio Grooming School & Salon is dedicated to providing resources to find quality jobs in the pet care industry for our graduates. We take great pride in our excellent reputation and the fact that Rio Grooming grads are in demand because of it. Ask any graduate and they’ll confirm that although their time spent at The Rio Grooming School of Certified Grooming was demanding, challenging, worthwhile, and an invaluable investment into themselves and their career success. All of us at Rio Grooming are excited about the opportunities that will await you once you graduate and become a professional in the grooming, spa and Pet industry.
Meet our CEO
Karen Beskau CEO, took over the helm of Rio Grooming Enterprises in October 1999. Karen’s extensive experience in the Pet care industry, nonprofit organizations and advocating for Purebred dogs has positioned her well to lead the staff at Rio Grooming Enterprises. She is passionate about Rio Grooming’s mission of providing the best services to animals in our care, customer service and the community.
Since 1999, Rio Grooming has grown to include boarding, training, show dogs, and grooming. Karen has nationally recognized dogs she shows and breeds. She has been active in Pet Care Services Association, Minnesota Purebred Dog Breeders Association, Doberman Pinscher Club of America, Boston Terrier Club of America, as well as many local clubs and affiliations.
Rio Grooming Enterprises is one of the nation's accredited facilities, awarded through the Pet Care Services Association October 23, 2006.
Staff of the school
The quality and skill of our Instructors sets us apart from all other pet care and grooming schools. All of our teachers demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as engaging personalities. This translates to interesting and well-taught classes, and better-prepared students.
Admission as a beginning student
- A completed and signed application. Applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
- Must be 18 or have a consent form filled out by a legal guardian.
- A current resume
- Evidence of financial responsibility (if applicable).
Note: Pet Grooming is not a good choice for anyone with repetitive motion injuries, such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Those with back problems will also find the job strenuous.
Traits of a good student:
- Goal orientation the individual's ability to make plans and set goals, it works in conjunction with self-efficacy to increase motivation.
- Choose a school whose work you admire and who is well supported by its community and departmental infrastructure.
- Take responsibility for your education.
- Work hard — long days all week and part of most weekends. Note who goes home with an armful to work on at the end of the day. This is a cause of success, not a consequence.
- Take some time off, and decent holidays, so you don't burn out.
- Read the literature in your immediate area, both current and past. You can't possibly make an original contribution to the literature unless you know what is already there.
- Plan your days and weeks carefully to concentrate on your schooling so that you have a minimum amount of downtime.
- Keep good notes and add to them every day.
- Be creative. Think about what you are doing and why, and look for better ways to go.
- Develop good communication skills: they will make your grooming career immeasurably easier.
- To be successful you must be at least four of the following: smart, motivated, creative, hard-working, skillful and lucky. You can't depend on luck, so you had better focus on the others!
We are here to help you succeed and make the most of your Rio Grooming School experience. The Office of Student Services offers you a full range of services and resources to support you from your first day through graduation. Our offices provide everything from Academic Advising, Counseling Services, and Career Development Services.
2008 Minnesota Statutes
In the event a school closes for any reason during a term and interrupts and terminates classes during that term, all tuition for the term shall be refunded to the students or the appropriate state or federal agency or private lender that provided any funding for the term and any outstanding obligation of the student for the term is canceled.
Bathing & Brushing are essential to a healthy pet.
Cottage Grove, MN
River Falls, WI
Apple Valley, MN
Inver grove Heights, MN